Lumigan with the generic name of Bimatoprost is an ophthalmic solution that helps to reduce the pressure inside the eye by adding to the quantity of fluid that flows through the eye. This pressure comes emanates from glaucoma or ocular hypertension. Lumigan works effectively for the prevention of blindness by lowering the high pressure in the eye.
Bimatoprost which is described as a colorless, sterile solution placed in an ampoule contains the following inactive ingredients:
· Dibasic sodium phosphate heptahydrate;
· Sodium hydroxide;
· Citric acid monohydrate;
· Sodium chloride;
· Purified water.
Lumigan as an effective eye medication works primarily for the treatment of high pressure within the eye. Lumigan adjusts the flow of fluid in the eye for proper pressure. This, therefore, helps to prevent blindness in patients under this medical condition.
Mode of Indication, Dosage, and Duration of Treatment
You are advised to strictly adhere to all given instructions by your doctor or those found on the prescription label. You are expected not to take this medication more, less or longer than it is required. You may apply 1 drop of Lumigan eye drops once in the evening each day on the concerned eye. Ensure you adhere to your doctor’s direction on its dosage. Take off contact lenses during the use of Lumigan and put it in after 15 minutes. Ensure after application you wash your hands very well. Go through your prescription label and adhere to all steps to effectively apply Lumigan eye drops.
Ensure you adhere to the following precautionary measures before using Bimatoprost:
· Patients who are allergic to Lumigan should avoid its use.
· Ensure you notified the doctor if you have of any of the following:
o Inflammation or infection in your eye;
o Retinal detachment;
o Medical Eye surgery or injury sustained that is affecting the lens of your eye.
· The use of Bimatoprost eye drops may result in the color changes of the eyes or eyelids. This may come in the form of brown pigment with thick eyelashes. These changes remain even after treatment.
· Pregnant women are advised to seek the advice of their doctors before the use of this medication.
· Lactating mothers should endeavor to inform their doctors before using Lumigan.
· Children under the age of 16years of age are restricted from the use of Bimatoprost.
Ensure you notify your doctor if you begin to have these symptoms of allergic to Lumigan. These may be the inflammation of the face, throat, tongue or lips; hives; rash; difficulty in breathing. Make sure you desist from the use of Lumigan immediately you begin to experience the following side effects:
· Eye swelling;
· Feeling as if something is in your eye;
· Vision changes;
· Dry eyes;
· Burning of the eye/s;
· Stinging of the eye/s;
· Irritation of the eye/s;
· The discomfort of the eye/s;
· Eye redness;
· Watering eyes;
· Red, itchy, or swollen eyelids;
In a situation whereby you forget to use your prescribed medicine, you can always take it at the moment of recollection. However, mind the time for the next dose if not close. Taking two doses at one time should be avoided.
Peradventure you accidentally swallow this Lumigan eye drops, quickly see your doctor or call for emergency medical help. It is not confirmed to have any dangerous side effects if overused.
Interaction with other drugs
You are advised to notify your doctor before using any new medication with Lumigan. Tell the doctor about the medications you are using. The following medications may interact with Bimatoprost:
· Prescription and over-the-counter medicines;
· Herbal products.
Dosage Forms and Strengths
Lumigan eye drops is an ophthalmic medication that contains 0.1 mg/mL of Bimatoprost.